Wednesday, July 16, 2008

513: knighted! oh, and Lot dies

Hey, let's have some quotes!

"Normally I never try but when I travel with the Candlebees my head swells."

"God's like, Tilton? Where the hell is that?"

"I think it's gone from Tilton to Collapsin'."



Sir Edward here...


We are off on campaign again, we knights of Leicester, this time to the north to deal with King Ryons as King Arthur has had enough of his rebelliousness...yet the engagement of note was not with Ryons but with King Lot outside Castle Terrible! Lot finally fell for good in battle, and we set about subduing the other northern kings one by one. It was quite a tour. Made me long for the green countryside of Leicester.

When we returned to our fair city, laden with spoils, I contracted with several local craftsmen. I want to turn this treasure into something worthy: a church for Leicester. And I have chosen to dedicate this church to St Christopher, for we knights of Leicester do a fair bit of travelling for our lords, and are also very hard to kill.

According to legend, during the reign of the Emperor Decius, a man named Reprebus or Reprobus (root of English "reprobate") was captured in combat against tribes to the west of Egypt and was assigned to the numerus Marmaritarum or "Unit of the Marmaritae", which suggests an otherwise-unidentified "Marmaritae" Berber tribe of Cyrenaica. He was of enormous size and terrifying demeanour, being a cannibal with cynocephaly (the head of a dog instead of a man), like all the Marmaritae. Reprebus accepted baptism and began to preach the faith. Eventually, the governor of Antioch (or in some versions, the Emperor himself) decreed that Reprebus was to be executed for his faith. He miraculously survived many attempts at execution, eventually permitting himself to be martyred after converting multitudes. His body was then taken back to Alexandria by Peter of Attalia.

—wikipedia, St Christopher


Sir Franklin here!

Right here is Leicester, during Christmas court with the fires blazing and the hall strewn with fresh evergreen boughs, I became a knight! The men and ladies of Leicester surrounded me as my lord Count Idar strapped a pair of spurs to my feet, gave me the blow, and finally the kiss. Good old Sir Brandegoris gave me a fine suit of armor, and Sir Bledri gave me a good bay charger. The other squires, my companions on many dangerous quests, gave me a bundle of good Cymri spears. I only wish Lady Christine could have lived to see me knighted, but the next day after chapel I put fresh flowers on her grave and told her I would make her proud, and as the sun came out from behind the clouds I am sure she was smiling down on me from heaven.

No comments: