Sunday, June 27, 2010

556 AD : No Time for Rest!!!

After surviving our run in with the devil's fire belching demon that tore down the walls of Camelot, and destroying it , the King feasted us with the best fare he could muster ( though seneshal Constantin looked troubled by the amount we ate ) , and all was merry! Many knights returned from the grail quest , Gawaine among them, and told their tales of bravery.Also more shields arrived to hang on the Great Oak tree. The shields of those Round table knights that are known to have died on the Grail quest. The number of shields on that tree stood at 51 the day of the feast. The King decided to look upon his Great round Table. He was in a Moprose mood, butto his delight, and the delight of the entire court, when he entered the chamber he saw a most miraculous thing! Count Edar, our most beloved ruler of Leicester , whose name had faded from the table only a year before was Alive! If the table could be believed, that is. And the table has never been wrong before! Also My mentor and friend Sir Amadis the Brave was back from the dead too it seemed! I immediately went to the Great Oak and cut down their shields so that I could bear them back to Leicester and tell his people. That would give them something to celebrate in these dark times.
Shortly after that fine discovery, Our Lord King needed rest. His sickness was still upon him and Though he was happy, he was tired. I was overjoyed when lord Gawaine announced ( after speaking quietly with our Lord King), That all who aquitted themselves well at the battle against Cornwall and the evil king Mark, and that had a high reputation were to be made knights of the Table Round to fill out the missing 49 seats. I have no real words to describe my joy. I would be made a Peer of the Round Table as would my lord Agwar Count Of Leicester! My Father, the Great Brandegoris of the Hambone , Lord of Tilton , and Hero Of Badon, would be proud. Finally I feel redeamed. I am old, but now i am fulfilled. The only sadness that was in me was that the King was too ill to Knight me with his own Hand. Sir Gawaine Did the honors in the Kings name however and He is as good and hardy a Knight as any living! And of the Orkney clan which are our great friiends , so I was pleased nonetheless.
As a further reward I was given a new Bride. A fine and Plump lady from Jagent. Pictish heritage ( complete with exotic blue tatoos ), and a widower with a fine manor called CombeSydenham. Also the king gave me a further grant of 10 Libra per year in coin from my marriage as reward.
Our joy did not last long , however. As we were preparing to go to war against Cornwall and destroy King Mark once and for all , we had word that there was a large invasion near Cirencester! The King asked his knights to leave Cornwall for the moment and repel the invaders to the North. We were mightily dissapointed. Some of us had sworn Oaths to Kill Mark and see his Kingdom topple. But it seemed like any other Rat, he would survive to wreak havoc another day.
We got to Cirencester and Lo! It was none other than the Pirate Lord of the outer Isles... King Brian. Since Lord Galeholt had died this Brian had grown strong. Too strong! But that day after several hours of hard fought battle we put them to flight. We were ever so close to their total destruction , but alas, like the curs that they are , they escaped with their tails between their legs.
I went home to Leicester and was made a Candlebee , along with Sir Amadis' son, and my old squire , sir Theudic. We tried to relax as best we could , but its hard to relax when the only sounds you hear are the wailing of women and childern that our starving and living in poverty. We had ben gone for but one season , yet in that time it seemed that it had been 10 years of spreading wasteland that had descended upon our lands. Many had died. The year had started so well, and I had had my finest and most glorious year , and yet it was overshadowed by the famine and disease of Leicester. I can not help but feel that we may have displeased God mightily. I may ask the Bishop in Malahaut to write our most beloved pope and ask his advice. nothing else seems to be working. The evil doers get more powerful in these lean times and the good suffer. I will pray and see what answers God grants me.

No comments: