Monday, August 11, 2008

517: Garrison duty

Sir Edward here...

With the Saxon troubles just to the north of us, the king held Pentecost court in Leicester this year, a great honor for Count Idar. And better it went to him than that Derfel...yes! Idar made it home safe and sound from troubled Garloth, much relieving the hearts of all his loyal Leicestermen.

How refreshing to spend a flower-filled May with my comely wife! I was certainly busy with the various duties of a trusted household knight, especially with the king's large retinue in attendance, but Lady Ealhred and I found plenty of time to enjoy the season, and as spring slid into summer and my duties lessened somewhat, we took many leisurely rides through the countryside, showing my lady my childhood haunts and the sites of various Candlebee exploits. And to sit in the great hall and dandle my young ones while my lady sits nearby, spinning...I am a lucky, lucky man.

Lady Ealhred is such an asset and a joy that I made a few suggestions, and after the harvest Sir Brandegoris married his daughter to Ealhred's brother. Our good Round Table knight and hero of the hambone seems to have turned a corner now that he's embracing both God and war again. Now, we just have to find him a comely wife...

Sir Franklin here...

Finally, back in my own green country of Leicester again! The first thing I did after finishing my duties for Count Idar and checking on my own lands around Auburn was to visit my sister at the nunnery. She thrives! In fact, I'd say the Mother Superior may be working her too hard and not giving her enough time to devote to her prayers: her arms and shoulders had none of the gentleness and softness of form I have observed in ladies of the court, or in my own wife. She is also the spitting image of our father, while I resemble more our dear departed mother in looks, God rest her soul.

King Arthur's court season opened in Leicester this year; a welcome event after the dullness of Garloth! I had hoped that the gaiety of court society might add some warmth to the cheeks of my lady, but she remains as pale and reserved as is her usual, a primrose amongst the peonies, violets, and roses surrounding Guenevere.

However, at the Pentecost feast, the king caused to be laid out a magnificent spread of the kingdom's finest victuals, much of it wonderous strange to a young knight such as myself: oddly-flavored crisps, horrid little candies, and several tonic spreads which the knowledgeable referred to as Vegemite and Marmite. We sampled them out of politeness:
"Mine actually was not horrible."

"It's filthy!"

"Do I have to pick one?"

"They're both pretty bad."


The maid Briana here...

Father met me as I exited the chapel after prayers and told me the news: he had found a suitable match for me, a man of some honor and renown, he said. He told me to have my hand-maiden prepare for travel in a few days time.

As we left behind the walls of Caerwent and rode east I tried to imagine who my husband would be...I thought at first that we were riding to Gloucester, then Salisbury...I got very exciting thinking we were heading to London but then we turned north. Leicester?! Oh, no!

Brandegoris here....

517 was a very quiet year. The leicester men took care of their manors and had time for themselves while the saxons were gearing up to destroy all of Logres. I spoke with the Lady Brianna's father ( a very powerful banneret of Caerwent), and he consented to the marriage. She seems a bit shocked and even unhappy with the match but I hope that she will soon grow fonder of me. I know that with the land being tormented as it is I have not been able to give her my full attention. I will try harder from now on.

I added some new projects tothe manor, and had a nice wedding. I dedicated a proper church at Tilton. A church to St. George the dragonslayer. I also made a kennel for the chapel of St. Guinefort. Father Hobbe was most pleased.

I also gave my daughter in marriage to a man whom the Queen Guinevere says she approved of. Surprisingly he is a Surrey Saxon! The GOOD ones I guess. He is brother-in-law to good Sir Edward, so I'm sure he is worthy. Matilda is happy. Between all the building and weddings I am nearly broke.

A quiet year altogether. I am enjoying my manor which these days is most fruitful, and enjoying the company of my wife and Bobo, my dwarf jester and companion, although not together because Brianna is very uncomfortable around Bobo though he tries hard to impress her. He even dressed as a Roman centurion to make her happy (she is of roman heritage), but she was still not having any of it. Oh well, perhaps she will one day be at ease with him.

We here that there is to be a huge deciding battle next year with the Saxons who are making alliances and marshaling what appears to be their entire countries and more ships land every day we here. I welcome next year for it will be the last that we will have to endure these saxon beasts!

1 comment:

brandegoris said...

Brandegoris here....
517 was a very quiet year. The leicester men took care of their manors and had time for themselves while the saxons were gearing up to destroy all of Logres. I spoke with the Lady Brianna's father ( a very powerful banneret of Caerwent), and he consented to the marriage. She seems a bit shocked and even unhappy with the match but I hope that she will soon grow fonder of me. I know that with the land being tormented as it is I have not been able to give her my full attention. I will try harder from now on.
I added some new projects tothe manor,and had a nice wedding. I dedicated a proper church at Tilton. A church to St. George the dragonslayer. I also made a kennel for the chapel of st. Guinefort. Father Hobbe was most pleased.
I also gave my daughter in marriage to a man whom the Queen Guinevere says she approved of. Surprisingly He is a Surrey Saxon! The GOOD ones I guess. He is brother-in-law to good sir Edward, so Im sure he is worthy. Matilda is happy. Between all the building and weddings I am nearly broke.
A quiet year altogether. I am enjoying my manor which these days is most fruitful, and enjoying the company of my wife and Bobo, my dwarf jester and companion, although not together because Brianna is very uncomfortable around Bobo though he tries hard to impress her. He even dressed as a Roman centurion to make her happy( she is of roman heritage), but she was still not having any of it. Oh well, perhaps she will one day be at ease with him.
We here that there is to be a huge deciding battle next year with the Saxons who are making alliances and marshaling what appears to be their entire countries and more ships land every day we here. I welcome next year for it will be the last that we will have to endure these saxon beasts!